Friday, November 1, 2013

Inspiration: "In the Walls of Eryx"

Image from http://pixabay.com/en/alarm-clock-clock-time-wake-up-155187/
While most people are starting to write or already have started writing their Nano, I can claim the laudable goal of having finished reading a H. P. Lovecraft story.  But it is related to my belated Nano goals. 

"In the Walls of Eryx" was the first story I ever read of HPL's; it is also my favorite, and well-written.  But what does it say about me, when most people disagree with me?  Beyond the fact that I lack basic knowledge of physics? Well, some may think my tastes are suspect.

I hope not, on the latter, for it is one of my inspirations for this novella.  "Eryx" is about an prospector  traversing Venus.  He discovers an invisible labyrinth and a dead body inside, just shy of the exit, clutching live guy's target--a crystal that is a power source.  Long story short, what do you think happens in this scenario?  He gets lost in the maze and has to find his way out, while his food cubes and oxygen slowly run out.  Long story short, what do you think happens in a HPL scenario?  ;-)  Nothing happy.

I don’t know what exactly about "Eryx" pulled me in--that is no doubt a post for another day, another blog--but I wanted to reread this one to use some details from it.  I want a maze, not a labyrinth.  Labyrinths have only one external opening that serves as both an entrance and exit.  I used a lab in another Nano work.  But I like the general idea of something twisting and . . . ;-) labyrinthine.  I also don't want to mine to be invisible.  I picture instead walls glowing with bioluminescent moss or fungus.  Oh, and doors with locks.

Another detail I want to use is that my guy seeks a MacGuffin, which is why he descends into the maze.  However, my MacGuffin isn't a crystal but a relic of some sort.  Still something of religious significance to the "natives," but mine is a power source for magic.  I envision that my magicians need certain items to make common magic items things like wands.  Either way, whatever it is exactly, my guy is a tomb raider.  And he has a strong non-HPL motivation for seeking the MacG.

Finally, I want to borrow the epistolary format of "Eryx."  The guy was rendering his report for his company; that is the story format, for the most part, and I think that is a great way to tell my tale, too.  However, I want a different, darker reason for my guy's report--instead of edification or warning, he wants to stick it to his boss.  Or rather, former boss. 

So those are the borrowings, but I think at the core my story is going to be different.  In part, because of the character, his goals, and the maze's dangers.  In part, because, while I said "Eryx" is one inspiration, I have a secret inspiration, too.  I won't blog about it, because I hope keeping it secret is one way to trick my magpie mind into sticking with this story.

We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment